Sunday, December 19, 2010

So, I'm Going To Singapore...

Well, let me back up a little bit first. The time is May 2010 and Part or Execution was released to "rave"* reviews. And the questions started coming; how are you going to support this album? Are you going to play live? Do you even know how to play live? But you don't play guitar?? Questions like that, which left me confused and despondent. Afraid and alone. Well, not alone, but very afraid. I've never been up front or led a band. I've never commanded an audience. One time in Virginia I spoke in front of a group of people and peed my pants. I literally urinated down my corduroys and kindly excused myself**.

Now let's take it to the present time. There is no time like the present. It is a gift, a present if you will to appreciate the current time and place you are in. After a wonderful fall tour, The Sixers decided to take an extended period of time off for the remainder of the year in order to regroup and have babies... I, a man of New York City told all my musician friends "If you hear of anything like a gig or something that you think I'd be good at playing and singing in front of people that don't give a shit about me, please let me know!" Cut to early December where I played a half hour set to a group of drunk 50 year olds in the lower east side of Manhattan. After that half hour set I knew I was ready for a real gig. What better place to try and book a gig than maybe in your home town? No. Bad idea. Let's think outside the box; so many people play in New York all the time that it's just overwhelming. Go see this guy at that place, she'll be on next over across the street after that guy who has a showcase around the corner from that guy who was in that band in the 90's that overcame that drug problem... It's like Disney World without the large animals. The food prices are still the same.

So my friend approached me last week about playing a club, a residency if you will. "Where, in NYC"? "NO," he replied. "First put on some pants and we'll talk about it..." After putting on some corduroys I said "OK, friend, I'm ready to hear more about this residency. If it's in Delaware, that's cool, but I have some ludency charges pending... If it's in Chicago that is also fine, just know that last time I was in Chicago I thought they drove on the opposite side of the road and did so voluntarily and paid the consequences... And, if it's in any state in the Pacific Northwest that is awesome, but you gotta know that I'm allergic to something over there. Every time I drink the water in that region I break out in hives and start singing like Judy Garland. But all these other places are fine... Except for a small town outside Detroit where they know me as 'Dr. Death'. Everywhere else, is fine..." "Singapore, you're performing in Singapore kid." I was speechless. I didn't know if he was speaking some foreign language he picked up on Star Trek or if he was rattling off his favorite cuisine in Queens. After many questions, maps, diagrams and cups of coffee*** I learned that Singapore is a country in Southeast Asia. I'd be playing there. The flights in total are 24 hours long, including a layover in Tokyo. I accepted. I mean, it fits all the criteria of what I wanted to accomplish; play for a group of people that have never heard of me before, this way if I fuck up they won't know the difference. Win, win, win and I'm very excited.
So for all of you Singaporians reading this, it's going to be a good time. From January 4th to January 8th I will be playing in your country and honored to be there every second of it... And yes, if I mess up, chances are you won't have any idea...

boots

*To me, the word rave doesn't necessarily have a positive or negative connotation, so I thought I'd use it...
** I did not "kindly" excuse myself. I yelled at the audience, blaming them for what just happened...
***Man, I swear corduroys attract accidents with me.

1 comment: